Skip to main content

July Hair Care

(This post is NOT sponsored by Maui Moisture)

This month's brand is Maui Moisture. This brand is perfect for summer, as its name does not lie. So. Much. MOISTURE!! Every product's first ingredient is Aloe Vera Juice. By itself, this particular item doesn't moisturize my hair, but man. In Maui Moisture's products, it's A-MAY-ZING. Below I have listed which products I've used/am using and how I'd rate them on a scale from 1-5.


Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk

Shampoo: I'd give about a 3/5. One major thing I look for in a shampoo is detangling abilities. Moisture, not so much because my hair is super thick and products stripping my hair isn't too much of a concern, as well as the fact that I will be replenishing that moisture with a conditioner. Plus, if the shampoo is detangling, odds are it's also moisturizing because moisture helps with detangling.
This shampoo is very moisturizing, but not enough to detangle my hair. It also doesn't lather that much (as is typical with a sulfate-free shampoo), and I love a good lather.

Conditioner: I give 5/5. I've always used Maui Moisture's conditioners, and I've even used them as a leave-in. They are always super moisturizing! However, in the past, I've noticed Isopropyl Alcohol listed as an ingredient (I haven't seen it on recent bottles) and this ingredient is drying to natural hair. BUT... when I used bottles with this ingredient listed, it NEVER made my hair feel dry.

Curl Quench + Coconut Oil

Curl Milk: I give this one a 4/5. This is because I used this as a leave-in, and it's actually a styler. I used it as a leave-in because 1) I needed a leave-in, 2) It's too light on my hair to be used as a styler, and 3) The first three ingredients are aloe vera juice, water, and glycerin.
It's not the best leave-in conditioner (or one at all), but it was a pretty good base for the Curl Smoothie.
Curl Smoothie: Can I give this a 6/5? Because NO CREAM HAS EVER DEFINED MY TYPE 4A/B/C MIX NATURAL HAIR LIKE THIS CREAM HAS. I always have to use gels or thick butters to define my twist-outs, but THIS. This Curl Smoothie was defining my coils before I even twisted! This stuff is amazing! To my fellow Type 4 Naturals: don't let its creamy consistency fool you. It's called a smoothie, and it's creamy, but if it can give me (a self-proclaimed 4c natural) a curl pattern that I didn't know existed on my head, I think it's worth a try.

All of these products are very affordable too. All of the products I used (and every one of Maui Moisture's products) are $8.99, and some places may have them cheaper.

If you've never tried this and/or are too skeptical (like I was) and think it may not work on your hair, just give it a try! The price isn't too bad, and if it can define my curls (which is very hard to do), it might just be able to define anyone's!


Want to see me use the Curl Quench Collection to style my hair? Click Here!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine’s Day French Toast: Another random recipe!

  If you read my Pumpkin Spice French Toast recipe from Halloween, you know that this is going to be another random idea that I came up with (maybe one day I’ll plan these).  Today’s recipe features the berry flavored nutrition powder from Orgain. It’s full of probiotics and superfoods, and you can order it here  and use code ‘ gorjessnfit ’ for 30% off your first order. Other ingredients include: All of these are mixed together in a bowl, and then I take a slice of whole grain bread and soak it in the mixture for about a minute before putting it in the oven to broil at 525 degrees (Fahrenheit). The strawberries were on top of the toast when broiled, and the bananas were added afterwards. * Affiliate Disclosure * This post contains a link and I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you choose to purchase a product through the link.

Better Butters?

Are There Better Butters for Your Hair? by Jessica Rivers Originally Posted on Curlfluence.com in 2018 Cocoa butter, Shea butter, mango butter, and aloe butter are some of the most popular moisturizing butters out there. But are there better butters? Well, that depends on the needs of your hair. Popular butters & their benefits: ·         Aloe Butter : Highly antioxidant and rich in vitamins A, C, E, and B12, aloe butter is lightweight and hydrating to skin and hair. ·         Mango Butter : This butter is probably the most moisturizing butter I’ve ever used. Not only is it loaded with vitamin A, C, and E but it helps protect your hair and skin from UV rays. ·         Shea Butter : This is probably one of the most popular butters for natural hair. Its many benefits include: highly moisturizing, acts as a natural sunscreen, reduces skin inflammation, r...
Rose Hair Clay Mask Rose clay is very mild and gentle enough for dry skin. Also known as pink Kaolin clay, it’s color comes from the iron oxides in the clay.  This clay draws out toxins and impurities in the skin and hair. For my hair, I mix it with apple cider vinegar and essential oils (clary sage, rosemary, tea tree, and peppermint). I leave it on my hair for about 20 minutes and then rinse it off. Ingredients : Rose Clay Apple Cider Vinegar Clary Sage Oil Rosemary Oil Tea Tree Oil Peppermint Oil 🎥YouTube:  https://youtu.be/9XkdJjFRp80