Skip to main content

Dealing with the Damage


Manage the Damage

by Jessica Rivers
Originally posted on Curlfluence.com in 2017


Heat damage.

If you heat-style your hair, you've probably dealt with this before. I love straightening my hair; especially in the fall and winter- for a number of reasons: it's low maintenance, it looks great with fall and winter fashion, and it doesn't frizz during the fall and winter months.

So what do you do when you have heat damage? Well the most obvious answer is to cut it off. I believe that it can be nourished back to health with proper treatment (protein, moisture, etc.). What worked/works best for me when I get heat damage is to add strengthening products to my regimen.

CAUTION: If you have low-to-normal porosity hair, like me, be careful not to use products too heavy in protein. Hydrolyzed proteins are okay since they absorb easily into the hair. If my hair gets a lot of protein it also has to get a lot of moisture, or else it will feel stiff. 

You can also try D.I.Y. treatments. Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and eggs are also good sources of protein. Mix these ingredients together and use it as a pre-poo after suffering heat damage. Another way I've managed to combat heat damage is to use products that say 'anti-breakage' in the description.

My last tip is to MOISTURIZE. Natural hair loves moisture, so give your hair what it needs. Also, be familiar with your hair porosity, as your hair may resist moisture (low porosity/protein-sensitive), or lose moisture easily (high porosity). My favorite way to moisturize my hair (instead of using an actual leave-in conditioner) is to mix a rinse-out conditioner with water, a moisturizing oil, and a sealing oil in a spray bottle. For me, this method works better as a leave-in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine’s Day French Toast: Another random recipe!

  If you read my Pumpkin Spice French Toast recipe from Halloween, you know that this is going to be another random idea that I came up with (maybe one day I’ll plan these).  Today’s recipe features the berry flavored nutrition powder from Orgain. It’s full of probiotics and superfoods, and you can order it here  and use code ‘ gorjessnfit ’ for 30% off your first order. Other ingredients include: All of these are mixed together in a bowl, and then I take a slice of whole grain bread and soak it in the mixture for about a minute before putting it in the oven to broil at 525 degrees (Fahrenheit). The strawberries were on top of the toast when broiled, and the bananas were added afterwards. * Affiliate Disclosure * This post contains a link and I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you choose to purchase a product through the link.

Better Butters?

Are There Better Butters for Your Hair? by Jessica Rivers Originally Posted on Curlfluence.com in 2018 Cocoa butter, Shea butter, mango butter, and aloe butter are some of the most popular moisturizing butters out there. But are there better butters? Well, that depends on the needs of your hair. Popular butters & their benefits: ·         Aloe Butter : Highly antioxidant and rich in vitamins A, C, E, and B12, aloe butter is lightweight and hydrating to skin and hair. ·         Mango Butter : This butter is probably the most moisturizing butter I’ve ever used. Not only is it loaded with vitamin A, C, and E but it helps protect your hair and skin from UV rays. ·         Shea Butter : This is probably one of the most popular butters for natural hair. Its many benefits include: highly moisturizing, acts as a natural sunscreen, reduces skin inflammation, r...
Rose Hair Clay Mask Rose clay is very mild and gentle enough for dry skin. Also known as pink Kaolin clay, it’s color comes from the iron oxides in the clay.  This clay draws out toxins and impurities in the skin and hair. For my hair, I mix it with apple cider vinegar and essential oils (clary sage, rosemary, tea tree, and peppermint). I leave it on my hair for about 20 minutes and then rinse it off. Ingredients : Rose Clay Apple Cider Vinegar Clary Sage Oil Rosemary Oil Tea Tree Oil Peppermint Oil 🎥YouTube:  https://youtu.be/9XkdJjFRp80